Friday, April 3, 2009

I am so proud of our President and First Lady


I was glad that Clinton was elected, thought it was a joke when George Bush was elected the first time, then couldn't believe that he was elected a second time (anger,frustration).

I remember crying when Hubert Humphrey lost the race to Nixon. I was at college and the war was raging; Julie Nixon was at Smith too and David Eisenhower was at Amherst across the way. I came from what I believed to be a very apolitical family, which turned out to be very Republican.

At Smith, I became a democrat forever. As a child, Hubert Humphrey's niece was one of my best friends, and so I had watched his career very carefully. Also, I was guilty about having thought Nixon to be the right choice when Kennedy won. And I really believed he would end the war.

All of this just to say, I am so proud of our President and First Lady, and I hope all of us can step up to the plate and act as civil and as intelligently. I watch him, I watch her, I listen to them, I see who they are and I am proud. I find myself always smiling, and feeling content that America no longer looks stupid and mean to the rest of the world. Because we aren't.
Imua Barack!

No comments:

Post a Comment